This platform is Energy Data Information management System( www.energy.gov.et ), that has a capability to store, process and calculate energy balances and other reports on hydro-electric, geothermal, fossil fuel minerals, wind and solar energy etc, by Enabling GIS Functionality. as result now any country or company energy data will be accessible to public, energy expert and government and non government organization.
To understand the system, let starting from core domain knowledge area. So that it is important to know about Energy, It is the Ability to Do Work and it exists in various forms, including mechanical, thermal, chemical, radiant, and atomic. All forms of energy are interconvertible by appropriate processes. In the process of transformation either kinetic or potential energy may be lost or gained, but the sum total of the two remains always the same. There are 10 main different sources of energy, Like Solar, Wind, Geothermal, Hydrogen, Tidal, Wave Energy, Hydroelectric, Biomass, Nuclear Power and Fossil Fuels (Coal, Oil and Natural Gas). There are serous of supply chain this platform can handle: –
- Resource or Source: It is natural potential resource used or not used. It can be used to generate other type of energy directly or indirectly example of such resource is Rivers basin, Solar, and wind site.
- Primary Energy: It is extracted or captured from sources, and through this extraction and capture, the physical and chemical characteristics of the energy is not changed. For example, hard coal, which is extracted from the ground. It is only cleaned and separated from rocks and other non-energy substances, but the physical and chemical property of the energy in the hard coal itself is not changed.
- Secondary Energy: Comes from the transformation of primary or secondary energy, by other definition secondary energy it can be useful for separating natural energy transformation and human-made energy transformation by using facility like solar, wind farm and Hydro Dam to generate consumable electricity.
- Transportation and distribution: ones the energy produced exported or imported in primary or secondary chain we need to transport or distributed to be consumed; this process involves electric lines, fuel track.
- Consumption: After energy produced and transported it is highly important to know in what in economic sector it is used or for what purpose. For instance it can be consumed deferent amount for lighting, cooking or heating.